You will compose SQL queries to retrieve desired information from a database.
Upon successful completion of this course, students will be able to:
- connect to the SQL Server database and execute a simple query.
- include a search condition in a simple query.
- use various functions to perform calculations on data.
- organize data obtained from a query before it is displayed onscreen.
- retrieve data from tables.
- format an output, save a result, and generate a report.
Individuals with basic computer skills, familiar with concepts related to database structure and terminology, and who want to use SQL to query databases.
Basic end-user computer skills and some familiarity with database terminology and structure are required. The following Training To YOU courses or equivalent knowledge and skills are highly recommended:
- Windows XP Professional: Level 1
- Windows XP Professional: Level 2
- Microsoft Windows Vista: Level 1
- Microsoft Windows Vista: Level 2
- Relational Databases Design (Second Edition)
- Access 2003: Designing a Database
Lesson 1: Executing a Simple Query
Topic 1A: Connect to the SQL Database Topic 1B: Query a Database
Topic 1C: Save a Query
Topic 1D: Modify a Query
Topic 1E: Execute a Saved Query
Lesson 2: Performing a Conditional Search
Topic 2A: Search Using a Simple Condition
Topic 2B: Compare Column Values
Topic 2C: Search Using Multiple Conditions
Topic 2D: Search for a Range of Values and Null Values Topic 2E: Retrieve Data Based on Patterns
Lesson 3: Working with Functions
Topic 3A: Perform Date Calculations
Topic 3B: Calculate Data Using Aggregate Functions Topic 3C: Manipulate String Values
Lesson 4: Organizing Data
Topic 4A: Sort Data
Topic 4B: Rank Data
Topic 4C: Group Data
Topic 4D: Filter Grouped Data
Topic 4E: Summarize Grouped Data
Topic 4F: Use PIVOT and UNPIVOT Operators
Lesson 5: Retrieving Data from Tables
Topic 5A: Combine Results of Two Queries
Topic 5B: Compare the Results of Two Queries
Topic 5C: Retrieve Data by Joining Tables
Topic 5D: Check for Unmatched Records
Topic 5E: Retrieve Information from a Single Table Using Joins
Lesson 6: Presenting Query Results
Topic 6A: Save the Query Result
Topic 6B: Generate an XML Report